Our churches

Our benefice consists of nine parishes, each with a parochial church council, formed by the amalgamation of a slightly larger number of ancient parishes.

There are now thirteen Anglican church buildings within the benefice, two of which (St Ninian's and St Wilfrid's) are in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.

Prior to the creation of Haweswater reservor, there was a church at Mardale, near the head of the valley. It was dismantled in 1937 and its stones used to construct the water take-off tower. Burials in Mardale were disinterred and reinterred in Shap, whose parish boundary encompasses the area south of Haweswater.

Select from the list on the left to learn more about our buildings, the areas they serve, and how to find them.

Powered by Church Edit